Monday, February 28, 2011

The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976 Movie)

    To be honest, I didn't care much for this movie, it was hard to follow and it seemed to drag on. This movie stars David Bowie, which surprised me to see that he did a movie before Jim Henson's movie Labyrinth, which I think people remember him more from that movie than this one. In this movie Bowie's acting is good, his character Thomas Jerome Newton has a mysterious, odd and quiet personality. Thomas is an alien, a humanoid that came to earth to get water for his dying planet. But we don't know that till near the middle and end of the movie. Thomas become a billionaire by starting a high technology company, he does this so that he can use the money to build a new space ship and return to his home planet.

    For a movie made in the 1970's, this is a good idea for a story, more original than most sci-fi alien films today. But the thing that I didn't care for was the annoying girl Mary-Lou and that half of the movie was her and Thomas  or some other characters that we never see again, having sex. It really was just a movie of people having sex and a girl having sex with a alien, and the movie had to make those scenes go on forever. Long story short, it was just plain awkward.

    There was one scene that did catch my attention. When Thomas was in the bathroom, he starts taking tweezers and taking something out of his eyes. His human eyes were only a cover up of what his true eyes looked like, and with his alien eyes and his bone face structure, he definitely looked out of this world. I'm glad that they didn't make this alien have different color skin or something silly like that. His alien eyes look almost like snake eyes with the whole eyeball colored orange/red.


    All in all, I think this movie isn't terrible for those who like sci-fi movies, but for me it's not something that I would hunt for in a movie store and buy it on dvd. To me I rate it as a "OK" (4 out 10)  movie. If they did a better job editing scenes and making sure the story isn't loosing its interest, then maybe it can be better. I like Bowie's acting (and I'm not just saying that because I like his part in Labyrinth), but loose that annoy sex craving girl Mary-Lou, she is just embarrassing herself.



No comments:

Post a Comment