Monday, February 21, 2011

The Sirens of Titan

     This is a book that I could not get into. It was more confusing to understand what's going on with the characters than Neil Gaiman's book Anansi Boys. So I hate to say that I won't have much to say about this book, compared to my blog on Warbreaker. I think the reason why I couldn't get into this story, is because I haven't read many sci-fi books. I think this is my first sci-fi book. I guess what I can say about this book, is that it was formatted differently than most books. There are only 11chapters and it seemed like they squeeze tons of information and characters in every chapter, that it was hard to take it all it. I would prefer a book that had lots of chapters and giving it more time to form the characters and the setting. This story felt like it was rushing at hyper speed. The only characters that were sotra interesting was Winston Niles Rumfoord and his dog, Kazak. Rumfoord is a wealthy man and has his own personal spacecraft and he and his dog travel through space. Rumfoord seems to really enjoy being a space explorer.

  Just like the Anansi Boys, I got lost in who was the main character. Also I don't think this book had a real villain like the past books I've read. At first I thought Rumfoord was going to be our main character, then we get introduce to other characters that to me became forgetful. In the begining chapters there is a character called Constant. He is the richest man and he goes on a journey from Earth to Mars for the preparations of a war that Mars was going to have against Earth. Even when the story mentions about a war with Earth v.s. Mars, they didn't build it up, and that would make the story more exciting. Long story short, there was too much talking and detail in each chapter. My reason for choosing this book was because when I read the title The Sirens of Titan, I had an idea of the story being a planet that inhabits siren aliens. And when a traveling space ship crash lands on the planet (like all sci-fi stories, the ship has to crash on a dangerous planet, unknown to mankind), one by one the space men are drawn to the sirens beauty and hypnotic voices, but slowly walking into their deaths. When I reads a story (any story) I get a image of what is happening in my mind, like my own movie or illustration of the story, that way I can understand the story better and have a fun way of reading a story. Unfortunately, this book didn't project any images in my mind to help me follow along the story. So I guess this was a lesson learned experience, just like the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" my saying is "don't judge a book by its cover title."

No comments:

Post a Comment