Thursday, February 17, 2011

WarBreaker

This is an incredible book, from reading the title I didn't know what to expect  or what kind of fantasy story it was (like is it going to be another story with talking animals or a prophecy story). From the beginning chapters in this book, I was hooked to the characters and their world. And continuing reading chapter after chapter, I was always thinking that I knew what was going to happen next. But I was proven wrong, and I didn't mind it. I like it when a story makes you think one way, but then it turns around and surprises you with something that you never saw coming.

Warbreaker is a fantasy book that has no talking animals, magic rings, young kids on a prophecy. This story has Gods, two royal kingdoms, mercenaries and a talking sword. The kind of magic that is most talked about in the story is the power of breaths. The magic of breaths can keep you young, give you life and give life to object (or dead things) to control. This story felt like it was meant to be read by older teens  and adults, no kids stuff in this story. The kinds of things that goes on in the book would be difficult for a young teen to understand. They should stay with the Narnia books for a while. They discuss war between two kingdoms and how the king sent his younger daughter to marry the enemy kingdom's God King (arranged marriage). There are also parts in the story that tell when the older sister (that was suppose to marry the God King) goes to try and rescue her younger sister. Things don't go the way as she had thought and she has to do things that she doesn't want to do, in order to get money to survive (she almost had to be a prostitute to get money). Also that the only reason why the princess was sent to the God King was so that she can have sex with him to have a new heir to his kingdom. A lot of the characters, mostly the two princess had to do things that they didn't want to do and through that they changed who they are, and it was for the better.

My favorite character is Siri, she is a different kind of princess. She is the youngest of her siblings and she had an easier life of not have to be trained with everything that her older sister Vivenna had to learn in order to be married to the God King. This Agreement was made before Vivenna was born, and since she has been born, she has be trained and waiting to fulfill the agreement. But when their father decides to send the youngest instead of the oldest, both girls feel out of place. For Siri, it's not being free to do as she pleased and has to act more proper in order to not anger the God King. For Vivenna, she doesn't know what to do with her life now. After years of training and to see her youngest sister sent, makes her feel like she is useless and unimportant. To me it seems like the two girls are in the other person's shoes. Siri learning more and more about the political issues and following orders, and Vivenna learning what she can do on her own without someone telling her what to do. Vivenna learns a lot when she is in the world outside her kingdom and about herself.

Why Siri is an appealing character to me, is because I see a lot of her personality in myself. Just like her, I can be stubborn at times and I tend to do what I want, and I hate being orders what to do or where to go (like being herded like sheep, I am no sheep). And if someone pushes me too far (or if I can't take it anymore) I will speak out. My favorite part in the book is when Siri is in the God King's bed chamber and it's been weeks now that she has been ordered to stay on the floor naked and wait there till the God King desires her. But she's tired of the weeks just staying there and he's not doing anything but staring at her. So she doesn't take off her clothes, she goes on his bed and jumps up and down and makes noise. To make it seem that she and the God King are having sex, because she knew that the God King's Priest were probably listening (the priest have been telling her over and over that she must have his child). I laughed at that part and could imagine her acting like a kid jumping on the bed and the God King looking at her in both confusion and the look that says she is crazy.

I also like when she and the God King get to know each other better. Even though the God King can't talk (the priest took his tongue out so that he couldn't use his powerful breaths), he writes to her on a board and they start to grow closers together in their relationship. When at first Siri hated the fact that she was forced into coming to the enemy's kingdom and only be forced to marry the God King so there can be a new heir.  The God King is another character that I like just as much as Siri. For a man (he looks like he's around his 20's) with so much power and name to himself, he's really a kind, shy person who has had his whole life been ordered around and things done for him (not having to lift a finger to do anything). Siri is a good balance for him. She was someone that he couldn't figure out and that is why he liked her. She is outspoken and smart and she brings such life to him when they "talking." He seems really happy to have someone finally talking to him.

There are many other things that I could write that would show how much I really enjoyed this book. But that would be a very long blog and it probably would sound like a book review. I can honestly say that this a book that I will come back to again and re-read it. I don't do that with some of the books I have read, but this book really captured me into the story and the characters. That I want to read it again. I hope that some director is thinking of making this book into a movie. I can see this being a great movie, just don't put it in the hands of M Night Shamalan or Steven Spielberg. Their recent films haven't been that great in the box office (or movie reviews). I can see Jerry Bruckheimer doing the movie justice, just as it is in the book and not disappointing any fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment