Thursday, February 3, 2011

Narnia The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

     Next to The Lord of the Ring, Narnia is the next best fantasy movie that explores far and beyond the term fantasy, and how far one's imagination can go. To be honest (again) I never knew about Narnia as a kid. What I mean is, that I was in a different kind of English class and my class read different books than the rest of my grade. So back in middle school (or high school), most of my friends knew the world of Narnia. I didn't know that I was missing out on a great fantasy adventure. My dad took me to see this movie when it came out, and together we enjoyed everything about this movie. I watch this movie over and over and never get tired of it. It's like when I put the disk into the dvd player, I'm journeying back into the wardrobe and to Narnia with Aslan, Mr. Tumnas, the Beavers and the many other creatures and animals that live there.

   This movie has great detail that captures a world that is ruled by creatures, spirits, witches and a lion. I like the Pevensie kids just as much as the creatures. But if I had to chose one, I would pick Lucy. The look on her face when she first enters the snow covered Narnia lands and taking in all the wonder and beauty of this strange land beyond the wardrobe. Also the care and the friendship she has with Mr. Tumnus. Even though at first he was going to follow the orders of the White Witch, he knew that what he was doing isn't right and he still believes in a free Narnia. He risked his own safety and protection from the White Witch's power in make sure Lucy (or any of her sibling) get in the hands of the White Witch. Another character that I like is Aslan. In Narnia, he is the true ruler and creator of Narnia (in the world of Narnia, he is God).  He can be both gentle and fierce when he needs to be, but above all he wants his people to be safe and the world of Narnia to be at peace.

 

    I would say my favorite scene in the movie is when winter is ending and Lucy, Susan, Peter and Mr. and Mrs. Beaver enter the camp ground of where the rest of creatures prepare for battle. There are centaurs, fauns, dryas and other creatures and animals that will serve their kings and queens (the Pevensie kids) and Aslan. I like it when everyone see's the three children walk to meet Aslan and everyone stops what they are doing and watches them pass. They are all happy that the hope to save Narnia has come (the prophesy). The designs of each creature was amazing and they looked accurate compared to the old illustrations of these creatures. They looked believeable, especially the centaurs. The centaur's design has always caught my interest. I like the look of the combination of half man and half horse. Next to the Lord of the Rings movie (The Fellowship of the Ring), Narnia, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe will forever be my favorite fantasy movies and a great source to get inspiration.

   What this movie (and in the books) has that fits well in the fantasy theme is that it has adventure, magic, talking animals and mystical creatures, and having the kids go on a journey and the change in them from being part of that world. Someday I'll read all the Narnia books, but I think that if C.S. Lewis saw this, I think he would be amazed and proud to see how well everyone that worked on this movie, captures that magic, beauty and wonder that is the Narnia he created.

No comments:

Post a Comment