Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Fellowship of the Ring (movie)

To be honest, I never saw The Lord of the Ring movies. I have heard of them, but didn't know much about them at the time that they were popular. I do remember that the people that went to see the movies knew the books first, and as usual, the best way to see a movie that is based off the original book. Sometimes I would see parts of The Lord of the Rings movie on tv, but I would catch it at random times so I never bother to watch it without knowing more about what's going on (and the story that it's based upon).

If I hadn't read The Hobbit, I would have not understood some key points in the movie (that only the ones that have read the book would understand). My original thought was that this movie was going to start off with Frodo, but I was surprised to see Bilbo again and to find out that Bilbo and Frodo are related. Once I saw the character Bilbo in the movie, he looked just like how I imagined him to be. I was also surprised by the power of the ring that Bilbo took from the Mist Mountain. Also its affect on the holder of the ring, it was scary when Bilbo was acting greedy and angry and would not give up the ring to anyone. He even said that the ring was "his precious," the same way Golom had said it. Not only did the ring have the power to make the holder become obsessed, but also keep them from aging. This was Gandalf's first notice when he saw Bilbo for his (111th year old) Birthday part that the other hobbits were throwing for him.

Another thing that caught my attention is that Frodo is different from how Bilbo was on a journey. In the Hobbit (book), Bilbo didn't like the idea of going on an adventure, but then he grew into it and loved the experience and the places he'd seen. In the beginning of the movie, Bilbo has become the opposite of what Hobbits are known for (staying in one place). After his birthday party, Bilbo decides to leave his hobbit hole and go off somewhere on another journey. To me Frodo is the reverse of Bilbo's personality. Frodo has heard of Bilbo's adventures and he longs to go on one of them with Bilbo. But when he gets his adventure to return the ring. Frodo seems to be very afraid and it seems that he doesn't have the same cleverness and wit as Bilbo had when getting out of problems. But I do see that Frodo has the same will power to continue on the journey that he started.

The rest of the movie is with Frodo, Gandalf, a few other hobbits, and elf, man and dwarf going on a journey to bring the ring to the mountain where it was born and destroy it in the mountain's volcano. But the movie doesn't end with them getting to the mountain so soon. There's more to be continued from this movie and story. The movie ends with Frodo and his friend Sam journeying alone without the rest of their group to get rid of the ring once and for all. The situation with Gandalf is very suspenseful.

This has now become a favorite movie that I will add to my collection of movies. I'm a fan of fantasy films and like to try and draw fantasy work. This movie has inspired me even more. The visuals and the looks of the characters and environments (like the elves homes in the forest) was better than I could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment