Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

    Reading more and more of these sci-fi books, I find myself getting more lost in the words and even listening to them through the audio book version. This isn't the first time that I have gone through a whole book and when finishing reading it, I'm confused as to what has happened. It has happen to me in the past when I buy a book that I think are good from reading the title and the summery on the back. But then reliaze that I was wrong. I would try to find something about the story to hang on to like the characters and see that if I can stay with it from beginning to end, then maybe I will find something that I end up liking.

    The one thing that I found to be odd about this book is that at the beginning of each chapter they make an advertisement for Ubik. It seems that Ubik is everything and does anything, like some wonder product. Also that when the characters were in the half life, I was making the connection to the movie Inception. The reason why I make this connection is because the people in the half life aren't there, their bodies are in a building and one by one they are dying by someone. In the beginning of the book, they talk about this world and how the people in it have some abilities like telepathy or changing the past (one of the characters can think of an event in the past and change it without time traveling). That part was interesting and I was hoping to hear more about the characters and their powers and how far they can go with the idea of people with that kind of abilities (not relating to the X-Men series and movies).

But sadly I didn't find anything beside those few things that I mentioned. The book was only 17 chapters, and it seemed to rush in writing of getting to the main plot of the story and ending the book. I may have mentioned this in my last blog, but I like books that take their time to describe the story and the characters so that you as the reader can grow attached to them. Also (and sorry for repeating myself from my last blog) when the characters were talking about something scientfic it was hard to understand. This may not be the book and the authors fault. I'm a visual learner and the difference from how I can see things clearly when reading a fantasy book than sci-fi book is because I have been reading more fantasy books and have seen many movies and looked at fantasy artwork to get the visual of a fantasy magical world. For sci-fi, there is not much for me to help visualize. I know that sci-fi is in some ways still fantasy, but I'm not a fan of science and it was not my favorite subjects in school. So that might also explain why it is hard for me to get into it.

I hope that I won't be faced with this kind of problem with every sci-fi books. I like getting back into reading books, it became fun again like how I would love to read a book as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment