Monday, April 11, 2011

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

 This was an interesting story out of the other books I have read in the sci-fi range. It was interesting in a way that it both confused me at time but in some ways I was able to follow along with the main character's story.

 What I found to be the most entertaining was the different kind of mixed creatures (animals) that live in this new civilization. These creatures were "Genetic Engineered," they combined different animals and made something new. For example, there is a creature called "Rakunks" that is a hybrid of a raccoon and a skunk. They make great pets. The main character Snowman, in his past his real name was Jimmy and he named his "Rakunk" Killer. In this story there are many other genetic engineered creatures and some of them can be pets or wild animals. This is also a common theme used in the sci-fi themes. Sometimes "Genetic Engineering" can be  animals or humans, and it can be viewed as a good or bad things to humanity in the sci-fi world. But in our world today we are kind of doing that already with our pets, mostly dogs. There are people that have mixed breeds of dogs. True it's not a mix of other animals, but we are combining other breeds of dogs so that a family can get the perfect dog. I don't know if this is just a rumor or an idea I heard once, but pretty soon people can customize what gender their baby will be and what they look like. I find that to be more wrong than animal genetic engineering. I feel that if people are going to be picky on what their child should look like, then they should not be parents, because it is shows that they only care about looks and not caring about their child.

 This story was being told in a flashback type of style. We are introduced to Snowman and these children are calling out to him and asking him tons of questions, which he is getting tired of answering and explaining, because these children don't know the simplest of things. Then Snowman goes back to his childhood with his parents and the fights that went on between his parents, his mother leaving, and him being questioned by some men about his mother (like does Jimmy a.k.a. Snowman know where his mother is and is there anything they can get out of him to get some answers.)  Even though the whole idea of telling the main character's story in a flashback is an interesting way of reading, I did get lost at moments when I was thinking "am I still listening to Snowman talking about the past, or am I still in the past with Jimmy explaining what's going on in the present?"

 Another part of this story that I like and thought to be funny is when (back in the present) Snowman is getting a little annoyed from these kids not leaving him alone. These kids wanted to know more, but at the same time they didn't know what anything was and asked him to explain more. On and on they kept asking him "what is this" or "what is that?" I can understand the frustration of trying to explain something to younger kids, you have to have patience and try to remember when you were that age and how hard it is to understand everything.  My only question I have after listening to the whole story is why didn't the author explain why Jimmy is called Snowman? Maybe I might have missed that part somewhere in the story, but it would have been nice if they would have repeated that part at the end of the story, after viewing his past. My imagination is already imaginating the new animals of this world, but it is strange imaging a snowman telling a story when it not winter or Christmas, plus I think Snowman (Jimmy) and the children are on a warm Island with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment