Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Brother From Another Planet (1984 movie)

 This movie is probably the most strangest and odd movie I have ever watched. When I rented it from the Ringling School Library, one of the guys that works there said that "this is a funny movie." So I took his word for it, thinking it was going to be a comical movie. But after watching the whole movie, I was left speechless and in my mind I was thinking "....What the Heck is going on." There was no intro description of where this "Brother" came from, what planet, what was his reason for flying in space, and does he have a purpose. It all seemed forced and no real plot that caught my attention as strong as other films I have seen.

 I understand that this is a 1980's film, so back then it might have appealed to people at the time. But I didn't feel like this guy was an alien, as the movie forced the viewer to believe that he came in an alien spaceship and crashed landed on earth. They made that begininng scene very quick, with quick sound effects. The parts in the movie that tried to make us believe he was an alien was that "This Brother" had three toes on each foot and he can take out his eye and record what he sees. When he puts the eye back in his head, he replays everything in his mind. He can also repair things and heal without any tools. Before I saw the parts where he took out his eye, and I saw the three toes, what came to my mind was that he is not an alien, he's one of those curcius people with something strange about their appearance.  I'll give the movie credit for making him mute, that brings more of a mystery to a person and makes them more alien from everyone else. What I notice and what also got on my nerves what that whenever he was around someone, they will go on and on talking, knowing that he can't talk back, but he can listen. At times I wish the people would be quite like the alien. I think this movie would be better as a silent film and you figure out what is going on by watching the body movements of the person, just like the alien.

 From looking at IMDb.com, the ratings of this movie is 6.8 out of 10. In my vote this was a 4 out of 10. My reasons for giving it a low rating was that there was no real story to follow, the main character wasn't engaging, the side characters talked too much and everything was forced onto the screen, like if we already know the rules of a sci-fi film and aliens.

No comments:

Post a Comment